Thursday, August 9, 2007

Land O' Lakes!

They aren't lyin' when they call Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes. There also seems to be at least 10,000 Lutheran churches in the state as well. Most small towns have at least two and most of them have two, if not three, services every Sunday. It's pretty much the Lutheran promised land out here.

So, we've verified that as in Montana and North Dakota, people are incredibly nice and hospitable here in Minnesota. The first day we entered the state, we stayed with Marge and Dick in Moorhead, MN. Marge is one of the sisters of my pastor's wife from the church I grew up going to in Cleveland. We were greeted with fruit and cookies when we walked in the door, and Marge soon after announced: "We're having prime rib, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob for dinner. I hope that's alright with you both!" Boy, it sure was! They were really friendly, down-to-earth people, and we really enjoyed talking with them.

Right now, I'm in St. Paul, MN, taking a bit of a vacation from my biking vacation while Eric flies to Florida to be the best man in his friend Brian's wedding. I've got four day's of slothdom ahead of me, which I must admit I've been looking forward to. I went to a used bookstore today and bought "The Sorrows of Young Werther" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, which is the first book that he wrote and that turned him into a veritable rock star over night. I also plan on baking a loaf of Challah bread for the Lindsey and Shelly, Rachael's sister's two friends with whom I'm staying with, as a "thank you" for letting me crash at their place for four days.

No comments: