Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fields of Corn and Dreams






We're some where near Wyoming, Iowa, right now and are staying with a really friendly lady, Sue, and her family. We met her at the little grocery store in town and after hearing about our crazy trip, she invited us to dinner and to camp in her yard. I just ate yummy pork chops, green beans with bacon, mashed potatoes, potato salad, fresh tomatoes and watermelon!!!






I ate all that after having eaten one of the most amazing brunches of all time. Our oatmeal spilled in Eric's bike bag so we couldn't have muesli this morning as we usually do. Instead, we stopped after 23 miles in Dyersville, IA, at the Dyersville Family Restaurant run by a friendly Albanian family. Eric and I both ate two meals. I had an omelet with sausage, ham, onions and cheese, with hashbrowns, and toast for my first meal. My second breakfast consisted of three fluffy pancakes topped with apples and whipped cream - yummy, yummy!






After our feeding, we checked out the basilica in Dyersville. The gothic church looked pretty impressive from the outside, but the inside was even more incredible. Having only seen the inside, I would have believed that it was a cathedral in Bavaria.






Outside of Dyersville, we stopped at the baseball field in the middle of a corn field where the film "A Field of Dreams" was filmed. I don't really care much for the movie, however it was still pretty cool to visit. I even got to hit a couple balls on the field. Had I been half my age and still interested in baseball, it would have been unbelievably awesome.






Aside from the random, unexpected highlights here and there, Iowa is pretty much as you might imagine it - corn, really nice people, corn, rolling hills, more corn...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When do you come home Jason??

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Cleveland! On the off chance that the results of your poll are correct and you continue to go on from here, good luck. Let me know when you pedal into Ulaanbaatar.
Jonathan

Tribeliker said...

Eric and Jason... Great Job!