Thursday, July 19, 2007

Bears and Berries

A couple days ago, we entered Montana. While cruising up and down the hills in the Rocky Mountains, we came across a great sandwich shop in the middle of nowhere. We met two guys there while we were eating our sandwiches, who claimed that these were the best sandwiches in 250 miles. I've got to say that they were pretty great. I had pastrami with smoked swiss on 7-grain bread with all the fixin's!

After telling the two guys about our bike trip, the proceeded to warn us about the bears and indians. Yes, the indians. Apparently there's an indian reservation on the east side of Glacier National Park that belongs to the Blackfoot Nation. These guys said it's a really rough place and that we shouldn't even stop, not for anything, because the indians will mess with us. I understand that the reservation is probably very poor, but I find it very hard to believe that the people there are so terrible. I guess we'll see in a couple of days...

They also warned us about the bears and told us never to pick or eat any of the huckleberries, which are starting to ripen, which the bears love to eat. According to them, the bears are very protective of their fruit and might be attracted to you if you have eaten any.

Fast forwarding to 20 miles later, Eric and I were stopped in the middle of a nowhere surrounded by the mountains and trees. As walked around to loosen up my legs, I noticed some yummy looking berries on a bush beside the road. "Huckleberries!" I called out! As I was about to pick one, Eric reminded me of the warning not to pick or eat any. I reluctantly walked away.

Later in the day we took a short hike to cool waterfall outside of Libby, Montana. Eric had gotten ahead of me, and as I walked along the path, I noticed Huckleberries on all sides of me. I couldn't resist eating one! Oh they were so sweet, yet tart!!!

Then, out of the bushes, five bears jumped out and and I had to fight them - bare hands against bear claws... Just kidding, we've get to see any bears and I don't intend to tangle with them if I don't have to. I later read in a pamphlet for Glacier National Park, that it is permissible to pick huckleberries and that as long as there aren't any bears around, they probably won't eat you.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy huckleberry eating! Remember, if Eric doesn't eat any, it's more for you!

Lauren Hittinger said...

I cannot tell you how jealous I am of you and Eric. Mostly because it sounds like every day would be filled with hilarious stories and exchanges.
-the master of the virtual realm.

Victoria said...

Remember that berries are free food!

I love the gulag store and grin every time I re-read it.

Victoria

Anonymous said...

We enjoy your stories on the way east. It sounds like a lot of fun. We are relieved that it is not too painful and that the bears are peaceful this summer.

Anonymous said...

hi jaseman, kuck doch mal in meinem aufstehn.blog.de vorbei.

lasst eich die huckelbeeren gut schmecken!

P.s.: I only see comments from girls on your blog. Alter Schwede!

silvio.

Anonymous said...

Eric's comments about the many Prius cars with or without gun racks was quite interesting! HOWEVER, when and if you see any Minis with longhorns on the hood--it's a Kodak moment I must see!!!!! I'm glad you have had no BEAR ENCOUNTERS of any kind and hope the NATIVES are calm and friendly. Hope you both keep safe and continue to enjoy your travels.

Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Eric are having a fantastic adventure. Just remember the bear identification story I told you that a ranger (probably at Glacier National Park) related to Grandpa, Grandma, me and your uncle and aunts back in the mid 1960's. A brown bear will chase you up a tree and a grizzly bear will shake you down! This is probably no comfort to you when a bear is chasing you but enjoy the huckleberrys anyway. I remember finding blueberrys in the mountains also. Enjoy Canada.

Dad

zivile said...

I just started reading your blog, Jason, because when I asked your Dad to send me the link, google interpreted his message to me as spam!
I like the MARC shirt. It's interesting to see that you and Jonathan select the same fine labels. I seem to remember that Jonathan was wearing one of his MARC shirts in Mongolia when we were there.
We missed you in Mongolia, but I can understand that you could not miss this adventure. It's great that you take time to write in this blog -- it makes great reading for all of us armchair travelers. As far as the trip itself -- better you than me. Stay safe, Jonathan's mom

Anonymous said...

If I were a Native American, I would mess with white men too!

Guess who?